LEXINGTON, Mass., Aug. 10, 2021 /PRNewswire/—iSpecimen Inc. (Nasdaq: ISPC) ("iSpecimen" or the "Company"), an online marketplace for human biospecimens, today reported its financial results for the three-month period ended June 30, 2021.
"During the second quarter of 2021, iSpecimen successfully completed its initial public offering and began trading on the Nasdaq Capital Market. This is both a significant milestone and the starting point of a new and exciting chapter for the Company," said Christopher Ianelli, MD, PhD, CEO and President of iSpecimen. "During the quarter, we continued to deliver exceptional financial and operating performance, posted revenue growth of 93% on a year-over-year basis and increased the number of registered research users on the iSpecimen Marketplace™ by 40% year-over-year to more than 3,800 users. With our enhanced capital position, iSpecimen is well-positioned to expand and scale its operations, with the goal of becoming the preeminent, online marketplace for human biospecimens."
"We continue to broaden our supply network and data assets while improving our technology platform, which should accelerate our sales and revenue momentum as more suppliers and customers embrace the iSpecimen Marketplace. Through our continued expansion, iSpecimen is disrupting the biospecimen procurement process, providing instant access to a vast repository of biospecimens and patient data from a global network of healthcare organizations, thereby empowering researchers to advance scientific discovery," concluded Dr. Ianelli.
Q2 2021 Financial & Operational Updates
- Revenue increased 93% to $2.9 million for the second quarter of 2021, compared to $1.5 million for the same period in 2020.
- Cash and cash equivalents were $13.2 million as of June 30, 2021.
- Unique supplier organizations under agreement were 190 as of June 30, 2021, an increase of 33 organizations year-over-year.
- Unique customer organizations with purchases totaled 378 as of June 30, 2021, an increase of 74 new customer organizations year-over-year.
- iSpecimen Marketplace had surpassed 3,800 registered research users as of June 30, 2021, up 40% year-over-year.
- As of June 30, 2021, iSpecimen's received $8.8 million in purchase orders in 2021, up 31% year-over-year.
Recent Corporate Updates
- Closed its initial public offering ("IPO") of 2,250,000 shares of common stock at a public offering price of $8.00 per share on June 21, 2021, for aggregate proceeds of $18 million. On July 1, 2021, the Company sold an additional 337,500 shares of its common stock, pursuant to the underwriters' full exercise of the overallotment option, at a public offering price of $8.00 per share, for aggregate gross proceeds of $2.7 million. In total, the Company received approximately $18.2 million in net proceeds, after deducting for all underwriting discounts of approximately $1.9 million and other offering costs of approximately $0.6 million. In conjunction with its IPO, the Company began trading on the Nasdaq Capital Market under the ticker symbol "ISPC" on June 17, 2021.
- In connection with the IPO, the Company eliminated approximately $29.0 million of liabilities and mezzanine classifications from the balance sheet, resulting in $3.0 million of bridge debt remaining outstanding.
- Enhanced the Board of Directors with the appointments of John Brooks and Margaret Lawrence.
- Mr. John Brooks currently serves as Managing Director of Healthcare Capital LLC, an investment company that advises early-stage life sciences companies.
- Ms. Margaret Lawrence currently serves as a General Manager of Wayfair Professional, one of the world's largest online destinations for home goods.
Financial Results for the Second Quarter of 2021
Revenue for the second quarter of 2021 increased 93% to approximately $2.9 million, compared to approximately $1.5 million for the same period in 2020. The 93% year-over-year increase was primarily due to the success of iSpecimen's maturing sales team, continued demand for specimens from patients with known COVID-19 test results, and an increasing demand for specimens in non-COVID-19 research areas.
Cost of revenue was approximately $1.5 million for the second quarter of 2021, compared to approximately $0.5 million for the second quarter of 2020. This increase was attributable to an 8% increase in the number of specimens accessioned as well as a 191% increase in the average cost per specimen due to the specimen mix during the second quarter of 2021, compared to the prior year period. In addition to the increase in the average cost per specimen in 2021 being related to specimen mix, a significant project in 2020, which yielded a sizably lower than average cost per specimen, significantly impacted the magnitude of the year over year difference in the average cost per specimen.
General and administrative expenses were approximately $1.5 million for the second quarter of 2021, compared to approximately $0.3 million for the second quarter 2020. The increase was primarily attributable to an increase in costs related to becoming a public company including an increase in legal and accounting expenses, an increase of other general and administrative expenses across the board related to amortization of internally developed software, associated software licenses, human resource related expenses, insurance costs and facility expenses, an increase in director and officer insurance, and an increase in payroll related costs for the chief financial officer. Additionally, the remaining increase is related to costs not expected to recur in the future, such as payroll expenses of approximately $0.5 million for a special IPO bonus provided to all employees and increased legal, accounting and consulting expenses of approximately $0.3 million that did not qualify as offering costs.
Net loss was approximately $1.4 million for the second quarter of 2021, compared to approximately $0.2 million for the same period in 2020. This was primarily due to higher operating expenses partially offset by an increase in revenue, all associated with the factors mentioned above.
Cash was approximately $13.2 million as of June 30, 2021.
Conference Call and Webcast Information
The Company will host a conference call and audio webcast today, Tuesday, August 10th at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time featuring remarks by Christopher Ianelli, MD, PhD, CEO and President, Tracy Curley, CFO and Treasurer, and Jill Mullan, COO and Secretary.
iSpecimen Second Quarter 2021 Results Conference Call
Tuesday, August 10, 2021
8:30 a.m. Eastern Time
+1-877-425-9470 (Toll Free) or + 1-201-389-0878 (International)
For interested individuals unable to join the conference call, a replay will be available through August 24, 2021, at +1-844-512-2921 (U.S. Toll Free) or +1-412-317-6671 (International). Participants must use the following code to access the replay of the call: 13721607. An archived version of the webcast will also be available on iSpecimen's Investor Relations site: https://ispecimen.irpass.com/.
iSpecimen offers an online marketplace for human biospecimens, connecting life scientists in commercial and non-profit organizations with healthcare providers that have access to patients and specimens needed for medical discovery. Proprietary, cloud-based technology enables scientists to intuitively search for specimens and patients across a federated partner network of hospitals, labs, biobanks, blood centers, and other healthcare organizations. For more information about iSpecimen, please visit www.ispecimen.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release may contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Such forward-looking statements are characterized by future or conditional verbs such as "may," "will," "expect," "intend," "anticipate," believe," "estimate" and "continue" or similar words. You should read statements that contain these words carefully because they discuss future expectations and plans, which contain projections of future results of operations or financial condition or state other forward-looking information.
Forward-looking statements are predictions, projections and other statements about future events that are based on current expectations and assumptions and, as a result, are subject to risks and uncertainties. Many factors could cause actual future events to differ materially from the forward-looking statements in this press release, including but not limited to the risks factors contained in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which are available for review at www.sec.gov. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date they are made. New risks and uncertainties arise over time, and it is not possible for the Company to predict those events or how they may affect the Company. If a change to the events and circumstances reflected in the Company's forward-looking statements occurs, the Company's business, financial condition and operating results may vary materially from those expressed in the Company's forward-looking statements.
Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on forward-looking statements, and the Company assumes no obligation and do not intend to update or revise these forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
For further information, please contact:
KCSA Strategic Communications
Allison Soss / Scott Eckstein