Healthcare Data Engineer
iSpecimen was recently named one of the top 20 innovators in the healthcare industry in the Technology Innovators Healthcare Issue! Learn more here: https://www.technology-innovators.com/ispecimen/
Imagine if we could accelerate healthcare discovery leading to more effective treatment and cures. Here at iSpecimen, we are working to get researchers the specimens they need from the patients they want to do just that. Headquartered in Lexington, MA, iSpecimen is the marketplace for human biospecimen collections. The privately held company has developed the iSpecimen Marketplace, an online platform connecting healthcare organizations that have access to patients and specimens with the scientists who need them.
We are looking for a highly skilled, self-motivated Healthcare Data Engineer with strong communication and technical skills to join our collaborative environment. This individual will be responsible for working closely with our team to ensure our data processes are efficient, effective, and well-run. The right individual will have a passion for data, quality, improvement, data pipelines, and reporting with a solid experience in designing, building, and maintaining scalable data pipelines and an understanding healthcare data vocabularies.
Healthcare Data Engineer Responsibilities
- Work with the team to understand our suppliers’ data and how we can add value
- Define, design, implement, improve, and support ETL solutions using the myriad healthcare and behavior measures and controlled vocabularies used to drive marketplace
- Lead the data onboarding and transformation processes for various source data
- Continuously improve control processes, ensuring data integrity, quality, standardization, and security throughout the ETL process
- Develop test methods, measurement tools, baseline reference data and measures, and analyses to support our reporting and visualization technologies and applications
- Function as a healthcare data subject matter expert to support the design, development, testing, implementation, documentation, and support of our solutions
- Provide complete documentation and communication of all processes, methods, and results
- Support production solutions and the ongoing updating and maintenance of our reference data sources
- Participate in our data strategy design and delivery
Healthcare Data Engineer Qualifications
- BS/BA degree in healthcare informatics, information systems, computer science, or related information technology degree preferred. Advanced degree in one of these areas preferred
- [Required] 5+ years of experience in healthcare informatics and hands-on experience handling diverse healthcare data sets especially lab and transforming them into consistent, high quality data sets
- [Required] 3+ years of experience exploring and analyzing data and scripting ETL processes using SQL (SSIS)
- 1+ years of experience using a scripting language (Python, Bash, Perl, etc.) to automate processes
- Extensive knowledge of existing healthcare databases, data sources, and industry standard measures and code sets (e.g. ICD9, CPT/HCPCS, DRG, NDC, GPI, LOINC) Knowledge of current standards (e.g. HL7). Clinical lab and/or biorepository experience a plus
- Proficient using SQL with solid familiarity and experience with database applications
- Some database management experience with the ability to explore and manage database internals (e.g. storage/memory, query performance, users, permissions, etc.)
- Experience integrating tools and/or workload automation software to streamline processes
- Experience with data analysis/visualization applications (e.g. Domo, Tableau) to generate reports
- Advanced analytic, reporting, and problem-solving skills around healthcare data
- Experience with a cloud computing platform (e.g. AWS) a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a proven ability to present solutions with both technical and non-technical arguments
- Intensely curious, not settling for accepted or superficial answers, always asking why and digging deeper
iSpecimen offers a generous suite of comprehensive benefits including ten paid holidays per year; paid time off (PTO) for vacation, sick, or personal use; medical, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts and flexible spending accounts; incentive stock options; a 401(K) retirement plan; and company-paid basic life, short-term, and long-term disability insurance.
iSpecimen is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, pregnancy, disability, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.